Sept. 1: Teams have until 4 p.m. ET to claim players placed on waivers. Teams can also start to establish their practice squads.
Beginning at 4 p.m. ET, players placed on Reserve/Injured or Reserve/Non-Football Injury or Illness during the regular season or postseason may be eligible to return later in the season.
Sept. 5: Final day of preseason training camp for all teams.
Sept. 6-11: Teams are required to report a practice file to the NFL Communications department by 4 p,m. ET.
Practice Reports are due:
- Sunday games: Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.
- Thursday games: Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.
- Monday games: Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
- Saturday games: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
All 32 NFL teams must also file a game status report with NFL Communications by 4 p.m. ET each week.
Game Reports are due:
- Thursday games: after completion of practice on Wednesday.
- Sunday games: after completion of practice on Friday.
- Monday games: after completion of practice on Saturday.
- Saturday games: after completion of practice on Thursday.
Sept. 9, 12-13: Start of the 2021-2022 NFL regular season—the Buccaneers play host to the Dallas Cowboys on 9/9.
Sept. 28: On the Tuesday following the third weekend of the NFL regular season, teams have claiming priority. The claiming priority is based on the inverse order of the standings of teams in current season games.